Drawing + Painting w/ Illustration Emphasis
EXPAND YOUR DIMENSIONS
The Drawing + Painting with Illustration Emphasis major focuses on the intersection of the art world where traditional fine arts and illustration converge. This emphasis prepares students who want to work in traditional and mixed-media art, while honing imaginative, narrative, and design-based aesthetics for commercial and non-commercial pursuits.
Students in this emphasis will take advantage of the same classical development of the Drawing and Painting major, both through skill building and professional studies. Students will gain experience in exhibition, branding, and entrepreneurial skills that will help them to succeed as independent artists working in visual styles that reflect Imaginative Realism, Pop Surrealism, and Mural Arts. Students will have the opportunity to develop as mural artists and learn how to present their work and contributions to city planners, urban developers, and private owners who bring artistic works to large, public audiences on shared visual spaces.
Classes will consist of narrative and concept development, mixed-media, taking work to print, mural arts and artist branding. Professional practices will cover galleries, publications, and organizations that specialize in applied works.
Graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate the use of compositional structures to achieve unity and balance.
- Demonstrate applied perspective to achieve the illusion of depth.
- Demonstrate proficiency in drawing, sketching, rendering, and painting effectively using various mediums.
- Demonstrate proficiency in applying traditional techniques to applied arts.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of current professional business and self-marketing practices.
- Develop a cohesive body of work to be exhibited in student exhibitions that will serve as professional launching points.