LCAD National Portfolio Day 2019 – San Diego on Saturday, November 9th, 2019
Laguna College of Art + Design (LCAD) will host the National Portfolio Day 2019 – San Diego on Saturday, November 9th, 2019.
Westin San Diego
400 West Broadway
San Diego, CA 92101
Saturday, November 9th, 2019
All NPDA events are open to the public. Students and members of their communities are welcome to attend these events without registering. Attending as a member of the public is free.
Only NPDA member art and design colleges and universities may register to review portfolios and meet prospective students.
Information from the National Portfolio Day Association, from nationalportfolioday.org
This is an opportunity for those who wish to pursue an education and career in the visual and related arts to meet with representatives from institutions offering professional programs accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design.
What is a National Portfolio Day?
National Portfolio Day is an event specifically for visual artists and designers. It is an opportunity for those who wish to pursue an education in the visual and related arts to meet with representatives from colleges accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design. Representatives will be available to review your artwork, discuss their programs and answer questions about professional careers in art. High school students, parents, teachers, guidance counselors and college transfer students are encouraged to attend.
National Portfolio Day serves a variety of purposes. Most importantly, it is designed to help further the artistic development of young artists by bringing together experienced college representatives to review artwork and offer feedback. We understand that some people make certain kinds of art more successfully than others. Don't be discouraged if you see work that is "better" than yours. A National Portfolio Day may be the first time you have seen so many people in one place who all share a powerful commitment to the arts. The experience is a small taste of what a professional art program can be like.
National Portfolio Days are also about the exchange of information about your work, yourself, your college plans, and your concerns. This is not an examination or competition. The college representatives are pleased to talk about their programs with you and can be most helpful when discussing your artwork. Your portfolio should include your best and most recent work, but it can also include works in progress, sketchbooks and tear sheets. You'll hear many different opinions of your work. Don't hesitate to explain how you develop your ideas and where you want to go with them. No admissions decisions or scholarship awards will be offered to you at National Portfolio Day. Some colleges represented may accept your portfolio as the visual portion of your application. Other colleges have restrictions that prohibit them from making a definite portfolio decision at the time of your review. We urge you to discuss your work with as many representatives as possible.
What is the National Portfolio Day Association?
The National Portfolio Day Association (NPDA) was created in 1978, solely for the organization and planning of National Portfolio Days. The Association consists of representatives from regionally accredited US colleges and universities that are accredited institutional members of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) and Canadian colleges and universities that are members of Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC) or that hold NASAD Substantial Equivalency status. NPDA is the only organization of its kind and the membership represent the highest standard of visual arts education available in the United States and Canada.
List of Participating Schools:
- Alfred University School of Art and Design
- ArtCenter College of Design
- Boston University School of Visual Arts
- Cal Arts
- California College of the Arts
- Cleveland Institute of Art
- College for Creative Studies
- Columbus College of Art & Design
- Cornish College of the Arts
- Drexel University
- Emily Carr Univesrity of Art + Design
- Iowa State University College of Design
- Laguna College of Art + Design
- Lesley University
- Maryland Institute College of Art
- Massachusetts College of Art and Design
- Minneapolis College of Art and Design
- New York School of Interior Design
- Otis College of Art and Design
- Pacific Northwest College of Art
- Parsons School of Design at the New School
- Pratt Institute
- Rhode Island School of Design
- Ringling College of Art & Design
- Rochester Institute of Technology
- Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design
- Rutgers University
- San Francisco Art Institute
- School of the Art Institute of Chicago
- School of Visual Arts
- SMFA at Tufts
- Suffolk University
- Syracuse University
- The Cooper Union
- University of Illinois, School of Art + Design
- University of Michigan Stamps School of Art & Design
- University of the Arts London
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Washington University in St. Louis
- Watkins University